Spicy salad green for cut and come again harvesting, with an attractive, distinctive indented leaf edge.
- Botanical Name: Diplotaxis tenuifolia
- Plant Family: Brassicaceae (Cabbage)
- Synonyms: Perennial Wall Rocket, Wild Rocket, Italian Rocket, Sand Rocket
- Form: Herb
- Lifecycle: Perennial
- Use 1. Edible Leaf: Similar to cultivated rocket in flavour, though a little more peppery, this leafy green is not only good in salads but also on pizzas and teamed with tomatoes in summer.
- Use 2. Edible Flowers: Flowers can be used in salads or as a garnish.
- Use 3. Medicinal: High in many vitamins and minerals. Showing promise in some anti-cancer studies.
- Growing Conditions: Prefers well drained soil in full sun but is very tolerant of a wide range of conditions including drought. Taste will be stronger and slightly bitter in extremely dry conditions.
- Height: 50cm when in flower
- Hardiness: Hardy to -15
- Flowering time: Early through to late summer
- Pollination: Hermaphrodite flowers are insect pollinated
- Biodiversity value: Attracts bees, butterflies, predatory wasps, ladybirds and hoverflies
- Native to: Europe
- Food Forest Fit: Herbaceous layer in sun or part shade.
- Fun Fact: In India the seed oil is commonly used instead of rapeseed oil.
- Pot size: 9cm